Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Swine Flu on Campus: Should I Be Afraid?

Shane Le Master

Last week, I found myself at the campus health center getting a copy of my medical transcripts. Prior to this, I heard rumors about the large number of students infected with the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu. Never having been one to get worked up over these things, I didn’t bother giving into the emerging swine flu hysteria. But during that visit to the Health Services building, I experienced a close run-in with the swine flu that changed all my opinions and concerns surrounding the matter. Within five short minutes, at least three students urgently came in to see the doctor concerning their previously diagnosed cases of swine flu. From then on, my mind inevitably fixated on the swine flu epidemic which was now very real and very much an immediate concern to me. Just how widespread is this disease on my campus? And should I be concerned?

I did some research to inform myself on the current state of the H1N1 epidemic at Georgia Tech. On the web, there was no shortage of articles detailing the matter on the Tech campus. CBS, NBC, and Channel 2 all have articles posted saying that the swine flu cases at Georgia Tech were all scientifically confirmed and that they were numbering near 100. With lab tests and numbers like these, it is hard to dispute the findings reported by the local media. Scientific American posted an article discussing the swine flu on Georgia Tech's campus, indicating that the risk factor for students here has grown large enough to even attract the interest of parties outside of the local area. The Center for Disease Control has a map (shown below) indicating that Georgia has the most widespread swine flu proliferation in the continental United States. It is no wonder that Georgia Tech, in the center of Georgia’s main city, has been hit so hard by the virus. In addition to personal experience, from just seeing the scope of information from so many reputable sources, the swine flu undoubtedly has hold of the Georgia Tech campus. All things considered, students on campus should be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment